JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

How do a Vietnamese citizen and a Canadian permanent resident register marriage in Vietnam?

Wednesday, January 17, 2024, 16:50 GMT+7
How do a Vietnamese citizen and a Canadian permanent resident register marriage in Vietnam?

A Vietnamese reader named T.H.M.K. wrote to Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper asking for the required documents to register a marriage in Vietnam with a man who holds a Vietnamese nationality but is a permanent resident in Canada.

Lawyer Tran Minh Hung from the Ho Chi Minh City Bar Association responded that the man is determined to be a Vietnamese person settling abroad. 

Permanent residents in Canada who are eligible for marriage with Vietnamese people can complete marriage registration procedures at the justice office in the district where the Vietnamese people registered their permanent residence.

The people with the Canadian permanent residence status need to prepare:

- A certificate of non-impediment to marriage with a Vietnamese person issued by the Global Affairs Canada 

- Documents proving their single status

For people who have never married, these documents include a declaration of their current single status certified by a local lawyer or notary, and a marriage records search certificate issued by a Canadian agency in charge of managing their civil status with the seal of the Global Affairs Canada.

Meanwhile, divorced people need to submit the divorce judgement delivered by the court and the divorce certificate with the seal of the Global Affairs Canada.

Individuals who have lost a previous spouse due to death are required to provide the death certificate of their late spouse, duly authenticated with the Global Affairs Canada seal.

- A health certificate proving that they are healthy and have not contracted infectious diseases, such as venereal disease, syphilis, HIV, or mental illnesses.

They should have their health checked at accredited hospitals in Vietnam.

- A copy of their birth certificate certified by a notary. People with no birth certificate must make a commitment on their birth information with a seal of the Global Affairs Canada instead.

- A copy of personal papers, such as passports, citizen cards, and residence cards

- A name change certificate (if any) with a seal of the Global Affairs Canada

All papers issued or notarized by Canadian agencies must undergo consular authentication and be translated into Vietnamese at the Vietnamese Consulate General or Embassy in Canada.

Canadian permanent residents can apply for an affidavit of single status at the Canadian Consulate General or Embassy in Vietnam and use the affidavit for the marriage registration in Vietnam.

It is worth noting that all of these papers must be issued no more than six months before the marriage registration time.

Meanwhile, Vietnamese citizens need to prepare:

- A single status certificate issued by the justice office in the ward or commune where they are residing with a validity period of six months from the issuance date.

If they have divorced, they need to provide a copy of their divorce judgment.

If their previous spouse died or were declared dead, they must include a copy of the death certificate of their previous spouse in their marriage registration dossiers.

If they got married in Vietnam but later filed for a divorce abroad, they need to prepare their divorce certificates.

- Personal papers, such as birth certificates, ID cards, and household registration books.

- An application for the marriage registration with the information and photos of the husband and the wife included.

After the Vietnamese citizen and the permanent resident in Canada prepare and submit their marriage registration application to the justice office in Vietnamese districts, the office will handle the application and issue the marriage certificate.

Like us on Facebook or  follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Thanh Ha - Tuyet Mai / Tuoi Tre News


Read more



Video of the day: Beeswax drawing – a craft passed down through generations in Mu Cang Chai

For Mong women, beeswax drawing is a part of their life

(Video) Jellyfish a new pet in Ho Chi Minh City

When she first started her jellyfish journey, Dang Viet Trinh encountered several difficulties due to a lack of experience and the absence of a local jellyfish community.

Check out this Cao Bang-style banh cuon stall in Hanoi

A stall at 253 Thuy Khue Street in Tay Ho District, Hanoi has been serving banh cuon in the Cao Bang style for the past eight years.